Siu Mai (Shumai) are tasty open-faced dumplings filled with ground pork and shrimps. These tasty open-faced dumplings are very popular dim sum usually the first items chosen at restaurants.
Cooking Time15 minsServes6
Cooking Time15 mins
- 225g ground pork
- 2 Chinese mushrooms (soak for 20 minutes and finely diced)
- 4 water chestnuts (finely diced)
- 6 medium shrimps (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp Shao Hsing cooking wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 18 siu mai wrappers or wonton wrappers
- ½ carrot (finely diced)
- Combine the ground pork, mushrooms, water chestnuts, shrimps, Shao Hsing cooking wine, soy sauce, salt, and ground pepper in a medium bowl. Mix well and leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Spoon 1 rounded tablespoon of filling in the centre of a siu mai wrapper. Gather the wrapper up around the filling and cup it between thumb and index finger. Pat the filling down with the back of a spoon.
- Place all prepared siu mai on a steaming tray and steam in an ACK steamer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately with dumpling or soy sauce.